Monday, December 20, 2010

Nursery Decor, Part 1

We have been pulling together the nursery as of late.  Its not finished, but it is coming along nicely.  I thought I would share about it in a series of posts just for fun and to document the process so when little bit #2 comes along we can look back and laugh at our new parent selves. 

We decided that we would put little bit in the middle bedroom of our house, which was serving as our guest bedroom.  It worked the best logistically, because its close to our room and its not right off the main living space.  Also, the walls were painted a nice, light tan, something that I thought we could keep with either gender depending on which way our color palete went. 

Orginally I wanted gender neutral--grey, yellow and white and modern.  But there have been plenty of set backs in that plan.  First off there are only a hand full of modern baby cribs and they are pretty costly, especially for what you are getting (often not even made of solid wood).  Second of all, there is really not a lot fo options for modern baby bedding that is gender neutral.  I would have LOVED to have swen my own bedding together, since I am a pretty good seamstress and love sewing, however, working 50+ hours a week and keeping a household up doesn't leave much time for such a large craft project.  After I sort of did my research and figured out what my options were and after I had drug T to like every baby furniture place in a tri-state area (seriously, this man deserves a medal) we decided on our furniture. 


We went with the espresso finished furniture.  Why?  Well, I orignally wanted white because its so clean and buoyant and woudl add a sense of lightness in our nursery, which sits on the north side of the house and doesn't get much light.  However, as much as I tried I couldn't picture a child much past 2 or 3 years old in white furniture especially since my vision was clean!  We decided that the espresso would be much more forgiving of smudges etc and be able to transition along with the little bit.  We also decided to do one of the "lifestyle" beds that transitions from crib to fullsized bed.  We like the set and think its classic.  So our little bit can use it in the nursery and then grow along with it or if we decide its just not their style it would transition nicely into a guest bedroom set.  The set we picked out besides be asthetically pleasing, got really high safety ratings and customer service ratings and met our basic quality criteria for major furniture purchases. 

We purchased our furniture from a furniture store that was recomended to us by friends.  They were willing to negotiate (I left that part to T my super sales expert) and they delivered and assembled.  And I have to say, even though our store threw in the delivery and assembly at no cost--totally worth it!  Their delivery men were on time, neat, clean and professional and had the furniture ready to go in no time at all.  Totally worth it!
And as far as what we actually purchased it was great--solid wood, well constucted and it totally didn't break the bank at all! 

1 comment: