Wednesday, July 7, 2010

San Francisco: Day 2, Part 1

So after the excitement of our "first day" of vacation we decided to sleep in (but we were on Eastern time so we slept in and still woke up early--perfect!) and then get up grab breakfast and hit the city.  The first place I wanted to go was Golden Gate Park, most notably the deYoung Museum.  I love art museums--fun little fact about me, I was 3 hours short of an Art History minor in college and the reason I chose the university I attended was because of a dear friendship I had with an Religion in the Arts professor who mentored both myself and my husband in our young adulthood.  So art has been a major part of our lives for a long time so I was really excited to soak up what San Francisco had to offer. 
The deYoung collection did not disappoint.  I think one of the things that surprised me the most about the collection was how large their Americas and African art collections were.  But I think one of my favorite pieces was the Claes Oldenburg, Corridor Pin, Blue.  I had studied Oldenburg work in college and we try to get to every museum we have access to, I had yet to see any of his work in person.  I was so excited that I made husband stand in front of it while I snapped a picture (one of many times I said "oooh stand over there so I can get a picture...he's such a good sport)


Across the way from the deYoung is the California Academy of Sciences.  I hadn't done any research about it before our trip but it looked super cool so we headed over and checked it out and I am so glad we did!  It was the coolest science museum we had ever been to!  It has a aquarium, planetarium and four story rainforest!  Plus it had all sorts of other exhibits.  We learned so much and had so much fun, plus the food there was really yummy and healthy. 


One of the things that was really interesting about the California Academy of Sciences, was their roof--its a living roof!  It lets in cool air, lets out warm air, provides a habitat for native Northern California wildflowers, birds and bugs.  So cool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment