Friday, July 16, 2010

Wicked in San Francisco




Thursday morning we woke up, grabbed a cup of coffee and hiked over to Grace Cathedral to look around.  I had visited there once before on a work trip, but it was so beautiful I wanted to go look again and I wanted Tim to see it too. 




After visiting Grace (and after some breakfast) we headed over to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, which I had been dying to visit since we arrived in San Fran.  And it did not disappoint.  In fact, I think it might have been one of my top things we did.  They had two installations going--the first was in honor of thier 75th Anniversary as a museum and juxtaposed the story of the museum's history with what was going on in the San Francisco art scene at the time with key peices that were aquired in each major momment of the museums climb to international recognition.  It was a great way to "get to know" the museum and its collection. 

The second installation was Calder to Warhol (you can see that above-duh!) and was amazing.  I really love the pop art movement. It was also fun to see some of the peice I studied in school in the live! 


My favorite two pieces for the Calder to Warhol installation were these two Roy Lichtenstein peices.  To me they really sort of remind me of the same elements that make me love letterpress art work so much.   




After our time at the SFMOMA we grabbed lunch with one of T's cousins who lives with her family  the GVZs in the Bay Area.  She has the most adorable two year old on the planet!  Unfortunately we didn't get to meet her in person, but we did get to spend time with T's cousin who happens to be one of the smarter, more insightful people I've met. 

After lunch we did a bit of vegging out and resting because that night we had tickets to WICKED!  So awesome!  And you want to know what's crazy?  Without even talking to one another my parents had planned a vacation to Napa the same week we were in SF and had planned on coming into town for a few days before the headed home to see Wicked and do a bit of exploring.  So we got to see them for a yummy dinner and go to Wicked.  Afterwards we grabbed dessert at a little place around the corner from our hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment