Remember my to do list last week? My list included plans to re-do the mirror we bought at the McKinney, Texas Trade Days last month. I already shared that I had plans to paint it Behr's Steam White. I already had a quart of the Steam White that I purchased when we bought the paint for our master, as I have a plan to do a tone on tone mural. I want the mirror in the lighter, whiter tone because I thought it would go nicely hanging on the wall opposite the mural over our dresser.
Here's what the mirror looked like before:
It had a sort of teal base with a white wash over it to create a shabby chic look. But it didn't really work for our house because the white wasn't crisp, it was more yellowed. You can see what I mean in the above picture.
So I set up a little painting area in the garage and taped off the mirror. This actually took longer and was much harder and took more time that I had thought because of the curves in the mirror. As you can see I ended up using small pieces of tape overlapping.
After I taped it off I painted the first coat on the top and sides (but not the bottom, as it would have stuck. With each new coat I rotated the mirror and skipped painting the bottom edge. Eventually everything got two coats. If I had to do it over again I would have laid the mirror flat on something slightly smaller so that I could paint each coat all at once. Ah well, you live you learn.
After my final coat had dried, I pealed the tape off and then touched up the edges where the tape wasn't applied smoothly (oops!). Once the touch ups were dried I took a paint scraper to the mirror to clean off any excess paint.
After placing the hanging wire on the back (it already had mounting hardware on the back) I hung it above our dresser in our master bedroom. And let me tell you this sucker is heavy (obviously, it is after all a giant piece of glass). I nearly squashed myself under it trying to get it on the wall! But after a few tries I got it up there and I am proud to say it is safely up there.
Here the mirror is above our dresser in the master bedroom. It turned out to be the perfect size--large enough to hold its own on this large wall, but small enough to not overwhelm our short-for-a-long-six-drawer dresser.
This was a great find and an easy (and cheap) way to add a little personality and depth to our room.